University of Toronto to unlock city’s mysteries at annual Doors Open event
May 21, 2014
TORONTO, ON — The University of Toronto will open six of its buildings to the public on May 24 and 25 as part of the annual Doors Open Toronto festival.
In addition to opening up six of its buildings to the public, the University of Toronto is sponsoring a range of free walking tours aligned with this year’s theme: Secrets and spirits…exploring the mysteries behind the door.
The 15th annual Doors Open Toronto is a city-wide celebration offering free, rare access to more than 155 architecturally, historically, culturally and socially significant buildings. The festival has attracted more than 2 million participants over the last 11 years and has given the public an opportunity to learn about Toronto’s history.
WHAT: Various building and walking tours as part of Doors Open Toronto
WHERE: The University of Toronto’s downtown St. George campus and the University of Toronto — Scarborough (UTSC)
WHEN: Saturday (May 24) and Sunday (May 25)
Please check dates and times of tours using the links below:
The Mysteries of the University of Toronto: This 60-minute tour on the grounds U of T’s St. George Campus will show visitors the traditional architecture and tree-lined paths that are home to some of Toronto’s spookier stories.
A complete list of Doors Open Toronto Walking Tours sponsored by the University of Toronto:
U of T Building Tours
• University of Toronto — Victoria University — Goldring Student Centre:
This building was designed by architect and former U of T dean of architecture, Eric Arthur, one of the first to teach the Modern movement in Canada.
• University of Toronto: Justina M. Barnicke Gallery, Hart House:
This Gothic Revival building in the centre of the University of Toronto’s St. George campus was renovated in 2010.
• University of Toronto: Lassonde Mining Building:
One of the original buildings of U of T’s Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering, this building was designated as a Heritage Property for its importance as a major work of Edwardian Classicism.
• University of Toronto: Munk School of Global Affairs:
Originally constructed in 1909, the building served as a meteorological observation centre. A 24-hour weather service operated from the observatory tower was instrumental during WWII in training pilots to identify weather patterns.
• University of Toronto, Scarborough — Andrews Building:
Designed by Australian-born John Andrews, who would later design the CN Tower, this building was featured on the cover of Time magazine for its bold vision.
• University of Toronto, Scarborough — Miller Lash House:
Opening in 1913 as the summer retreat for Toronto lawyer and industrialist Miller Lash and his family, the building is nestled into the Rouge Valley and surrounded by hundreds of acres of natural beauty.
Visit www.toronto.ca/doorsopen for a full list of participating sites.
For more information, contact:
University of Toronto