University of Toronto honours extraordinary achievements at spring convocation
May 30, 2013
TORONTO, ON – More than 12,500 students will graduate from the University of Toronto at convocation ceremonies taking place from Tuesday, June 4 to Friday, June 21 in Convocation Hall, 31 King’s College Circle on the University’s downtown campus.
More than 56,000 people are expected to visit the University during convocation and the largest ceremony – St. Michael’s College on June 13 – will have upwards of 560 graduates in attendance.
As part of spring convocation, U of T will be conferring honorary degrees on prominent leaders in science, business, technology and the community.
Members of the media are welcome to attend convocation ceremonies but are asked to confirm their attendance in advance by calling U of T media relations at 416-978-0100.
The schedule of ceremonies with honorary graduates is as follows:
- Wednesday, June 5 at 10:00 a.m., honorary graduand William T. Reeves; U of T alumnus, Academy Award winning pioneer in computer animation with Pixar Animation Studios;
- Wednesday, June 5 at 2:30 p.m., honorary graduand Stuart Alan Rice; world class scientist known for his global influence on research and teaching in the field of chemistry;
- Thursday, June 6 at 2:30 p.m., honorary graduand William A. Buxton; U of T alumnus, award winning scholar in human-computer interaction and device design;
- Monday, June 10 at 9:30 a.m., honorary graduand Sam Pitroda; inventor, entrepreneur, policymaker and government advisor credited with the telecom revolution in India;
- Thursday, June 13 at 2:30 p.m., honorary graduand Robert J. Birgeneau; U of T alumnus and former president, leading physicist and past Chancellor of UC, Berkeley;
- Friday, June 14 at 10:00 a.m., honorary graduand Paul Krugman; celebrated economist and op-ed columnist, recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences;
- Monday, June 17 at 2:30 p.m., honorary graduand Wendy Freedman; U of T triple alumna, preeminent astronomer and scholar best known for her work on the Hubble constant;
- Tuesday, June 18 at 10:00 a.m., honorary graduand Susan Scace; U of T alumna, widely recognized for her community leadership and outstanding public service;
- Wednesday, June 19 at 10 a.m., honorary graduand Donald Sadoway; U of T triple alumnus, entrepreneur, teacher and acclaimed scholar in sustainable energy innovation;
- Wednesday, June 19 at 2:30 p.m., honorary graduand Paul Cadario; U of T alumnus, anti-poverty advocate and distinguished expert of international development at the World Bank;
- Thursday, June 20 at 10:00 a.m., honorary graduand Frederic (Eric) L.R. Jackman; U of T alumnus, noted psychologist and businessman known for his exemplary public service.
For more information about individual convocations, please click here.
For more information, contact:
University of Toronto media relations